Saturday, July 12, 2008

Trapped

The damn drain in one of our bathrooms is out to get me. The thingy over the drain in the shower lifts right out. I don't know if it's actually supposed to be that way, but that's how it was when we moved it - that's how it has stayed.

It's never been an issue until today.

There I was innocently soaping up my bod when I noticed a ponytail binder stuck around the drain. I reached down to remove it, and the cover came right up. There I was, all sudsy and soapy, fussing with the drain thingy to get it back into place when the hair clip I'd just taken off slipped down the drain.

I had visions of major clogged pipes and a massive bill from the plumber. I simply had to rescue the clip myself.

I reached.

It didn't occur to me to turn off the water or yell for assistance before I slipped into Super Deej mode. I just scrunched down and stuff my hand into the drain. I could touch it, but I couldn't grab it.

I scrunched more.

As the water rained down upon me, I continued to shove my hand (and now my arm) further into the icky pipes. It had become a mission. I couldn't give up, and I figured I'd simply scour my skin to get all remnants of ickiness off when I'd completed my task.

Finally, I grabbed it - the hair clip was mine!

However, I seem to have reached too far. I squirmed. I squiggled. I wriggled.

Talk about utter frustration! I couldn't get my arm back out. I paused and assessed the situation. I was naked. The hot water was becoming warm water, but still coming down in torrents. The door was locked. I was getting sore from being all scrunched up with my arm in a drain. The cubs were outside. A was not home. I was stuck in a drain.

What to do?

It occurred to me to use shampoo - lots of it. That was easier said than done because the shampoo was on the shelf above me. Gingerly I wriggled, adjusted, stretched, and became a rather impressive contotionist as I found a way to get one of my legs up to kick the shampoo from the shelf.

Of course the damn bottle was full and landed on the hand I was using for balance. Yes, it hurt. Certainly, I belted out several rather unladylike four letter words.

I opened the bottle and worked to lather up my arm before the warm water became even cooler. Eventually, I prevailed and bingo bango - I was free.

Quickly, I scrubbed my arm then dashed out of the shower.

My next project will to get that damn drain thingy firmly secured. Hell, the next time I may not find a way to free myself!

That was my morning. How was yours?

Peace

11 comments:

thyme said...

I once got stuck holding the expansion vat from the central heating. My heating was turming on & off and I wanted to know what was wrong with it. Then I noticed the vat that was attached to the wall, seemed to hang on one loose bolt. I pushed it to see how bad it is, and the last bolt gave. The vat is supposed to be filled with air, but the membrane was leaking so ot was full of water.. and very heavy! I was stuck in the attic holding the damn thing and couldn't let go or the pipe would break. Rinke was in the house and I shouted for him to get our next door neighbour to come help me. He said "I can't mom, he's busy making dinner". Priorities...!

PS I fixed the blog alerts, but your blog doesn't update in my list! The others do... I don't understand why yours doesn't! Darned stupid glitch :/

Kelly Ann said...

Oh deej, I could not help but laugh my arse off reading this post. I'd much rather have lost a hair lip then get stuck in a drain! :)

Dee Jay said...

Thyme - I'm glad you got it working! (the alert thing) I'm finding it quite handy to have. LOL I loved your story. Sometimes we find ourselves in the oddest of situations!

Chica - It wasn't the loss of the hair clip, but the imagined cost of a plumber that had me shoving my hand down the drain. LOL In retrospect, I would have been better off to let the dang thing go!

Anonymous said...

Oooh you poor creature! At least you didn't find any unexpected surprises down there, like the living, breathing nest of hair-mold-symbiosis we found in the school showerdrain once. BELEARHGHhhh..

TheSplinteredMind said...

"...there I was innocently soaping up my bod.."


"...I squirmed. I squiggled. I wriggled..."


"...I was naked...I belted out several rather unladylike four letter words..."

You know where my hands are. God, I've missed your blog!

Splinter

Dee Jay said...

Ann - I'm sure there was plenty of uck down there. LOL Fortunately, I didn't see any clinging to my skin when I pulled my hand out. Plus, I really really scrubbed!

Splintered - LOL You are such a stinker! I may have to keep putting teases in there just to keep you reading. It seems I've lost a few of the peeps that used to come to my blog.

Unknown said...

Naked and stuck bent over in the shower? Sounds like my dream scenario. ;)

Dee Jay said...

P - LOL Not stuck in any position that was remotely sexy. Trust me!

Dr. Dog said...

You know, that would be a really funny scene in a movie. Who do you think should play the role of Deej?

Dee Jay said...

Dr. - Hmmmm I have no idea. I'm sure some super hot gorgeous Hollywood babe would look just like me and be perfect for the role!

*ducks in case a lightning bolt strikes me down for lying*

Anonymous said...

A missed youtube moment.