Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Bossman

The man is a gem. When I reflect on things past, I realize over and over again that I have been blessed to have him in my world.

He is my boss.

I've never had a different principal to work for, and I cannot imagine what it will be like when he retires at the end of this year. The entire staff and the vast majority of the kids love the guy. I have not always agreed with everything he's done, but I have understood why he made the decisions he has made.

We work well together. He puts up with my quirks and foibles. He's never called me to task on anything I have done - not ever.

I have flown into the office, looked up at him with teary eyes, and said "do you have a minute, I'm about to have a meltdown", and promptly burst into tears of frustration as soon as we closed the office door behind us. He just listened. He supported me 100%. He didn't tease me for my overly emotional outburst.

I have leaned across a table from him in a bar when we were all out and said "You know, I'm really mad at you right now. Do ya' want to know why?" Yeah, I was tipsy, but so was he. I told him what I was having issues with. He told me why he made the choice he did. I lived with his decision.

I have called him and said "I know I said I'd be at work tomorrow, but they just told me I can't take a shower for 24 hours. I'm staying home - officially, I'm calling in stinky."

I have told him "If you ever want me to quit, just start assigning me to teach ninth and twelfth grades. I'll know you hate me then." This year, those are the only two grades I will not be working with. That makes me laugh.

I have chuckled at the evaluations he does when he does observations in my classroom. My all time favorite thing that he's written was "very unorthodox approach to teaching, but extremely effect".

I've sang karaoke with his wife while we were all out. He just shook his head and laughed at the silliness. Trust me, we cannot sing!

I have slipped into rooms when I notice him covering a class for a teacher that is gone, and told him he could send the kids to my room. He has so much to do all the time; I don't mind picking up the extra kids to help him out.

I have been in numerous pep assemblies with him.
I have cheered for the teams he coaches.
I have laughed at his dry sense of humor.
I have admired the patient way he deals with kids.

I am going to cry at his retirement party, but in the meantime, I am truly looking foward to sharing his last year as my boss.

Peace



PS - Have I mentioned he's a hottie? Heck, a number of the high school girls ogle the dude.

10 comments:

MABrock1980 said...

Ready, class? And a one, and a two, and a...

Miss loves the principal. Miss loves the principal. Miss loves the principal...

Dr. Dog said...

Nice that you have a boss you can go to in good times and bad and expect some understanding. Many of us don't have that.

So you lucky person.

Dee Jay said...

Bebbs - LOL I think he's a great boss and a good friend. That's as far as it goes, you nut!

Dr. - I know! I've heard horror stories from friends teaching in other districts about their bosses. I am really lucky to have such a wonderful one.

NysaK said...

What a nice sentiment :)

Anonymous said...

He sounds like on overall good guy.
I like our principal. He is quirky, a lot of the teachers just don't get him. It is unfortunate.

kinnigurl said...

Sounds like a great guy to work for. Enjoy your year and hopefully next year your new principal will be just as wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I hope your new boss is just as wonderful. Although that's not usually the case, but maybe this time it will be...:)

I've been fortunate to have had great bosses when I worked for others!

Laurie

Anonymous said...

It sure will be an emotional farewell at the end of the schoolyear but i am sure you two will stay friends no matter how far the distance between the two of you will be.

LMC said...

I think that makes a job even better...having a boss that 's easy to work for.

I've had jobs I liked that I just couldn't stand the boss. The "delivery company from hell" was one of them. I would still be there if it wasn't for a demanding boss that treated all his employees like dirt.

Dee Jay said...

NysaK - He is a wonderful boss.

Nikkie - Ours rocks. There truly isn't a teacher on the staff that doesn't like him. He's great with the kids as well.

Kinni - The hiring of a new principal will become interesting. One of the staff is hoping to get it and there are some people that really don't want to see him in the job. I like him as well though.

Laurie - I am crossing my fingers that whomever we hire works out well. I would hate to see my school turn into an icky place to be.

Logis - Oh, I'm sure I'll still see him around after he's gone. It just won't be the same without him as a boss.

LMC - I have never had a bad experience like you did, and I truly hope it never happens.