Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Rule

I have this hard and fast rule that I've lived by since I began teaching. I do not attend the graduation open houses of any of my students. It's simply too difficult to get to each one I get invited to, and I don't want any of them having hurt feelings because I went to some but not theirs.

My sweet little Maddie called to ask if she should even bother with an invite. I felt a mite guilty when I explained the "rule" to her again; I could hear her sigh over the phone. Damn it all! She's already made me cry when I read her journal a few days before. In it, she commented on how much it bothered her that I didn't attend graduation this year, but that she called me and I talked to her just before she walked into the gym. Ugh! I couldn't go - it was in the midst of the student threat thing.

A wee bit ago she sent me a text message reminding me of her open house and giving me directions to get there.

How can I pass on this one?

This kid has become like family to me. Sure, I've made connections with a lot of students, but Maddie has grabbed onto me and is holding on tight. It's weird - I didn't realize how much she'd come to depend on me being there for her.

Once upon a time an older teacher explained "the rule" to me. When I was new at this game, I said I would go to the open houses of the students who really meant a lot to me. He said "What about the kids that you've really touched and don't realize? How do you think they'll feel if you are not there?" That's when I adopted "the rule".

I guess some rules are meant to be broken. I'm going to a party on Sunday.

Peace

2 comments:

MABrock1980 said...

Just tell the other kids you're going to a sleep-over at a big cub's place, and get big cub to corroborate your story. They'll never know ;)

No, I do not watch too many American teen dramas...!

*ahem*

thyme said...

Thanks. I followed your instructions (nr. 7 too... ) and it works!

I am going to try to blog at both places. Blogger is faster, I noticed that too.

I think you are 100% right going to the girls open house especially since you could not attend graduation. Enjoy the party!