Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Her Tweakness

Sometimes life gets a mite hectic. I sat down with the most fantastic creative flow rushes through my veins, and efx wouldn't work for me. After that, those darn creative thingies just fled from my bod. I've looked and looked, but the damn things are being amazingly elusive. So, instead of a wondrous bit of bloggety blogging, you're stuck with a dull old update entry.

My Fair Lady surpassed everything I expected. Even if I was some ornery crabbypants looking for something to bitch about, I'd have nothing. The show was even better than the great reviews I'd read. Babycub loved every moment of it and so did I.

Sunday was a complete 360 from Saturday's evening at the theatah. My little town's yearly summer celebration was in full swing and we never miss it. The cub's hung out with my son's fiance and that adorable baby I adore while I was in the parade. Yeah, I do that sort of thing. My school had a little float, a marching band, and a contingency of teachers being silly and passing out freeze pops and candy.

I was a freeze-pop-hander-outer-person; let me tell you that on hot summer days those things taste marvelous! I was swamped by little children and pushy adults all begging for frozen goodies. I think I sweated off all the weight I gained eating Nikkie's brownies as I ran back and forth between the crowds and the cooler full of freezies.

It's a fun little event though. In a town this size, everyone knows each other so I had old students jumping out of the crowds to run and give me hugs. I got to tease little grannies about wanting a kiddie treat. I got to tickle cute baby toes. I got to see pretty much everyone while I was sweaty, soggy, and armed with goodies.

The parade also is a wake up call that summer is fast coming to an end. In a few weeks we're all back to work and I'm simply not ready. I have oodles of things to do before it's time to walk in the school and inhale that "back to school" smell. Yes, there really is one.

I teach about the same thing every year, it should be completely plotted out and ready to go after all this time. It never is. I will never understand those teachers that never change things up - the ones that teach the same thing the same way year after year. I would be so bored!

Every summer I am rewriting, redoing, and revamping the stuff I use. I write a huge amount of my own curriculum, then pull in ideas and gizmos that I think will enhance things along the way. Some things work and are used again - others discarded or tweaked. It just never ends.

That's where I am now - I'm in creative mode. When that mood hits, I start getting eager to head back and "do" all the things that I put together for the kids. It's hard to wait; I become like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. If you see me online, that's probably what I'm doing - tweaking and writing and waiting impatiently for the smell of the new school year.

Peace

1 comment:

thyme said...

Funny, I also got back to doing work stuff here. It's fun to be able to work anytime, anyplace.. the dial-up internet is a bit of a setback but on the other hand it gives me an excuse to bum around on the internet while my emails to the salesmen are taking their time (a good half hour is average!!) being uploaded.