Thursday, July 17, 2008

Choices

When we decided to move from the city to the country, I pondered the idea of buying a house on the lake just outside down. It's a wonderful lake, but is quite crowded with year-round homes. There were some in the price range I knew we could afford, but they weren't as nice or the same size as the house we ended up buying. Additionally, the lots were much smaller. Here, I have seven acres of forest around my house. There, I would have been paying more money for less house and less land.

My cubs sometimes complain that many of their friends live on the lake and they wished that we did. Today we talked about it for a while. I asked them if they like being able to have the constant quiet of the woods and to be able to hang out in the yard without always having people stopping by. They said they did. This conversation was taking place in the car on the way to the grocery store and my point was driven home while we shopped.

We were stopped multiple times by students, parents, friends, etc. who just wanted to say hi. I never mind this; shopping or leaving the house is truly a social event when you live in a small town. It's like Cheers - "where everybody knows your name". As a local teacher, it's even more so. I am always running into people who know me; sometimes it's a parent and I simply cannot remember their name.

When we got back to the car and were driving home, I brought this up to the cubs again. I said "can you imagine what it would be like if we lived on that crowded lake? Every student that happened to go by in a boat would stop to say hello. There would never be any quiet like we have now." I could see the lightbulbs going off in their heads - they understood my need and desire to have some space. They enjoy it too. They have to share their mom with a huge number of teenagers constantly, but home is home - here I belong to them. I think they like that.

Peace

7 comments:

NysaK said...

Ah the wonder of living in the woods, I hope they always appreciate it.

Dr. Dog said...

Ah, the woods is indeed a nice buffer from civilization. I'll take the songs of birds over the roar of Jetskis any day.

Anonymous said...

I would love to live in the woods. Your cubs are at an age right now where they want to be around their friends, but I think they appreciate Mom more!

Laurie

Anonymous said...

'Mom' is always an important factor for kids when they grow up.

So yeah, i know for sure they like the compagny of mom.

Aielman said...

Too quiet for me. I'd lift in a loft downtown if Minda would let me and our downtown had lofts, heh.

TheSplinteredMind said...

I too live off the beaten path and out of way and its is the key factor to maintaining my sanity.

Well, what there is of it at least.

Dee Jay said...

NysaK - I love the city as well, but I love always being able to come home to my nest out here.

Dr.Dog - Yeah, me too. I never really realized how much I would love this. Now, I play in my gardens and watch birds at my feeders. It's all so removed from the ugliness that is out there in the world.

Laurie - Yeah, they are, but they have friends over (if they clean their room) and go to friend's houses. Plus, we have fun together doing all sorts of things.

Logis - Yeah, they do. I think sometimes they get a mite jealous when my time is consumed by my students. The kids from school call me and hunt me down all summer, so there is never really a break in the action.

Aiel - I have said if I ever move back to the city, it would be to right in the heart of it all. I don't understand living in the burbs at all anymore. I guess I'm a character of two extremes. I'm lucky to be able to travel though. I am able to wander through some of the most amazing cities in the world every year, then come home to this little sanctuary in the woods. I love it.

Splintered - I never knew that. I guess I always thought you lived in the midst of some urban area full of nubile wenches ripe for you to pick. Seriously, I thought you were a city person.