Saturday, July 19, 2008

Movies and Angels

"dancing queen, she's the mama mia, here I go again, can you hear me SOS"

Oh yeah oh yeah, I am a complete and utter fan of the movie Mama Mia!

On a whim (sheesh, and someone I know calls me Ms. Whimsy), anyway, on a whim yesterday I decided to go check out the film. Boycub wanted no part of this nonsense, but Babycub was geared up and ready to hit the theater with me in a heartbeat. The afternoon matinee was starting at 2:30, it was 1:45, and I had to fly.

I dashed to the shower, then thought of a friend that I knew would love to see it as well. As soon as I got out I called her and told her that if I could do it she could. She argued for 30 seconds, until I reminded her that I was standing there dripping wet and was still going to be able to get there - she could too.

She was.

Welcome once again to Small Town America. As soon as we walked in there was a yell from the concession stand "Hey Ms. Deej!!" I have students working there. Once in the theater we were all greeted with holas and hellos from students, parents, and friends. Lovely, my hair was still wet and I'd tossed on jeans and a t-shirt. Thank goodness the lights are off when movies play.

It was delightful! Not a single person got up during the film. There was laughter and toe-tapping throughout the film. Sure, the actors and actresses in this are not "singers", but the movie was so fun, I didn't care. I loved it!

I'm going to see it again tonight with a different friend. Egads, does this make me a groupie????

The Air Show today sucked donkey testicles. They didn't start when they said they were going to start. There was way too much lag time between performers. Hell, I took two naps in the midst of it all! Boycub and I played a game to count how many other people we would see sleeping. There were quite a few snoozers.

The weather turned cold, and I found myself forking out $35 for a rather hideous hoodie, but it kept me warm - until the rain hit. By the time the Blue Angels began performing it was drizzling and cold. Midway through their performance, the fog rolled in and they had to cancel. Better safe than sorry, but I can't help but think if they'd started on time and run the show efficiently, we'd have been able to get the whole Angel performance in before the fog hit.

By the time we hiked the million miles through the field to our car, we were soggy and bedgraggled frozen urchins. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr and grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Since all trillion people that attended parked in the same field and left at the same time, it took TWO, yes, I said TWO hours to get the heck out of there.

So now, I am sipping my cocoa and all dried off. Soon, I'm heading out for some entertainment I know I'll enjoy. Who knew ABBA could be so much fun?

Peace

6 comments:

kinnigurl said...

Ohhhh....Donna and I are going to see Mama Mia this week - Thursday I think. I am looking forward to it being an old ABBA fan myself. I don't care if the movie is good/bad I just wanna sing! Think they'll throw me out!? Too bad the Blue Angles were canceled. I hear they are pretty good. No match for the Canadian Snowbirds however!!! I have seen them numerous time and it never gets old. They used to practice for 6 weeks each spring at the airport near our house and I used to spend every morning watching them. I loved it....The pilots in those zipper suits - not too bad either! ;-)

Dee Jay said...

Kinni - You will have to let me know how you and Donna liked the movie. I am already itching to see it again. LOL I have become a total junkie! I may have seen the Snowbirds once. I wonder if I'm right and they perform in American shows. It just rang a bell when I ready your comment.

Spacey Stacey said...

"i was standing there dripping wet"
*mumbling to myself* she knows perverted people and lesbians (of which i'm both, lol)read this blog and she insists on saying these things! *shakes head* just teasin' ya!

anyhow, the wife, step-daughter and and i went to see mamma mia this weekend. i haven't stopped humming since friday! i don't normally do musicals, but i liked it quite a bit.

Melissa said...

I want to see this movie, I love ABBA. I'm giggling at Spacey Stacey's comment! hahaha Have a great day Deejay!

Dee Jay said...

Stacey - It was contagious, no? The movie, I mean - sheesh! LOL I love that perverted lesbians read my blog. Hell, you may convert me. I kid, I kid!!!!!

Missy - Stacey is a nut, no? Gotta love her! I knew you'd love this movie. I hope to heck you get to see it soon. You better tell me if you do!

Spacey Stacey said...

you may kid, but don't doubt my powers of persuasion! ;-)