Friday, July 18, 2008

Sunshine and Roses

Before you read this, keep in mind that I have a wonderfully fantastic relationship with my wee baby cubs. Having two adult siblings means they've grown up in a world full of sarcastic adults that love to tease and have fun. The cubs can give it back in spades.

They "know" when I am teasing them. Hey "know" when I am serious.

A few moments ago the cubs and I were joking around. They were talking about putting me in a nursing home when I get old if I don't shape up and start being nice to them. I told them they'd better be used to living in boxes because they'd never inherit from me with that attitude. They said it would be no big deal because they were going to get fantastic jobs and be uber rich. I just laughed. They said "you don't think we will?" and I said "no, because you're simply too dim for success."

Babycub said "You know, mom, if we were the kind of kids that needed moral support all the time, we could never go to you. Our self esteem couldn't take it."

My response? "Oh dear, I didn't know it was my job to blow sunshine up your butts all day."

They giggled and we hugged. Now we are heading out to frolic in the pool for a while. Yeah, I sound vicious and cruel. The cubs know I adore them and would lay down my life for them. I just figure I'll never be the perfect mom, but I'm going to have a grand time enjoying these kids for as long as I can.

Peace

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can joke around with your kids like that shows what a wonderfull relationship you have with your kids.

I am sure that you didn't steal the title of supermom. You just breath it thru every pore of your skin.

Midwest Mom said...

I am a firm believer in sarcastic humor -- especially with children. It is so fun to see the moment they recognize that glint in your eye that says you're pulling their leg. It's even better when they start the banter back and forth -- even my almost-3 year old gets it.

I think you're building quick minds. That's good mothering in my book. ;)

- Carnac

Anonymous said...

I get really sarcarstic with my daughter and she does with me. We just laugh and laugh at the ridculousness of what we are saying. At times I do make sure she knows that I am only joking for fear I get carried away. She always just laughs at me and tells me so knows then threatens to push me down the stairs :) I really enjoy our banter alot. I don't joke with my son that way cause I am not sure he will take it as sarcasim. With him I joke in word play or puns. That he gets.
Aren't kids fun?! I smile all the time I think of them and the things they say and the things we joke about.

Anonymous said...

I can be very sarcastic but not with my kids. They are so freakin sensitive! I don't know where they get it from, my mom says I was like that when I was young, who knows. I'm not now, lol.

Now my husband on the other hand, I just love to give it to him!

Laurie

x said...

I'm sarcastic but try to do it in a mild way. =) Sometimes it's so mild that the person doesn't even know I'm being sarcastic mmmmwaaa ha ha!!

Have a great weekend!

smiles,
Kathy

Treasa said...

Do kids who grow up without sarcasm grow up to be able to handle adulthood? I honestly wouldn't know, I never got the chance to find out. ;) We were all, and still are, horrible!- but fun!!!

LMC said...

I think it is wonderful that you can joke around with your kids. I don;t remember any time like that growing up.

Dee Jay said...

Logis - I'm far from supermom. I just like being a mom, but trust me, I tend to screw a whole lot of things up, I think!!

Midwest - Yeah, I think so too. They are really quick - they have to be to survive this house! LOL

Nikkie - I think that's the fun way to parent. Some of their kids have friends whose parents are so serious all the time. I feel for those critters!

Laurie - Believe it or not, my daughter and I are both really sensitive. Somehow we have managed to hold onto that PLUS be utterly sarcastically horrible!

Thyme - LOL You should try that line on him one of these days. My kids just giggled. It's from Top Gun, only I modified it for kids - it was "ass" in the movie. : )

Kathy - Oh yeah, that's grand fun when you know, but they don't. It's that way with some of my students. It makes me giggle.

LMC - That's too bad. I think having humor and laughter in a kid's world is a huge thing. We have a lot of that around here. : )