Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Poppies, Poppies

This evening I am dragging because I simply couldn't sleep last night. Nothing is wrong, but my mind was just doing that whirling, swirling thing that minds sometimes do when they are filled with thoughts.

While thunder crashed and lightning lit up the night, I tried closing my eyes and drifting off to lalaland. I love night storms as I am drifting off; I figured this would be the perfect send off to a very nice day. I was wrong.

Instead morbid thoughts found their way inside my head and I couldn't get them out. I found myself thinking of friends and relatives that have died. I counted back how long they'd been gone. I found myself stunned at how long it has been for some of them. I wondered if someday someone else would think of me in the midst of a stormy night long after I am gone.

In frustration I grabbed my book again and tried reading. The plot of my latest thriller wasn't enough to hold my attention. Once again I flipped off the light and tried to drift off. I told myself "don't think about dead people, you idiot", but that only brought everything back once again.

I wandered around the house, then tried again.

I stood in the sunroom gazing up at the lightning, then tried again.

I drank green tea, then tried again. That only made me have to get up to use the bathroom later.

Nothing was working.

Stop reading if you don't want too much personal info.

Even a couple of orgasms didn't relax me.

I logged back onto the computer and browsed some more websites and finally my eyes began to droop. With tea in hand, I wandered back to my room and picked up my book. Instantly, I was wide awake. This time my thriller grabbed my attention and I couldn't put it down. I tried to sleep a few times, but I simply couldn't.

I read.

I read some more.

My eyes became tired and my mind relaxed. It was 5:00 a.m.

I slept.

Ugh, I was up early as usual. Argh! It's been a busy day. I've been to school to do some stuff, I went hiking with the kids, I played in my gardens, I made a kick-ass dinner, I have read your blogs (I think I hit them all), and now I am tired.

It's going to be an early early night for me.

Peace

PS - Get the title? I am not feeling very inspired - it's from the field of poppies in the Wizard of Oz when the witch put them to sleep.


11 comments:

TheSplinteredMind said...

"...even a couple of orgasms didn't relax me..."

Oh my sweet mother of god! I didn't even need my hands in my pants for that one.

I'm happy to offer up a few suggestions for insomnia.

Send e-mail to splinterknockedmyassout@yahoo.com.

TheSplinteredMind said...

By the way, the thought of you playing with yourself, lit by random lightening flashes? SO damned sexy!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness well you did try just about everything didn't you? :)
I hope you get some rest tonight.

Anonymous said...

Yep, you did try just about everything, lol.

Just reading your title reminded me of that movie, it's my favorite movie after all!

Laurie

MABrock1980 said...

*ahem*

Moving aside from orgasms for a moment (who among us hasn't tried that particular insomnia cure once or twice in the past?), I find late-night TV watching helps. Channel 5 over here shows live American sport late night/early morning. Baseball I find particularly helpful :)

Anonymous said...

You should have called. I was sleeping soundly, but I'm pretty sure after our call, you would have been sufficiently exhausted enough to fall asleep easily.

Of course, I would have been charged up and wouldn't have slept at all afterward. Weird how it works that way.

Anonymous said...

Normally a book or orgasms help for me. Maybe next time you must combine the two? :-)

NysaK said...

I;ve had night's like that too, I usually end up blogging something dumb at like 2 AM..

LMC said...

Lately all of my nights have been like that...minus the orgasms!

I will be so damn happy when this six weeks is up! I think thats what I need to finally get some sleep!

Dee Jay said...

Splintered - LOLOLOL I figured YOU would center on that one part of my entry!

Nikkie - I slept like a baby for most of the night. I was up superduper early though. Argh!

Laurie - I like the movie too. I just couldn't help thinking of poppies last night. Hmmm I even have some planted, and I didn't try sniffin' them though.

Bebbs - I don't have a tv in my room, but sometimes I curl up on the sofa in the family room and drift off. That really does help.

Led - LOL Ya' nut! I wouldn't have dreamed of calling you and waking you up in the middle of the night when you were going to be driving the next day. Ironicallly, a couple of my friends were both up as well. Had I known, I'd have called them and we could have gone out for breakfast or something!

Logis - Now that's a thought. *makes a note to buy some x-rated books*

NysaK - I'd already blogged and read everything that everyone had written. LOL I did play some Spider solitaire though.

LMC - You're almost to the end though, and you got that wonderful news today as well. That alone will probably help you to sleep. : )

Spacey Stacey said...

my oh my have i had nights like that too. i've tried everything you did except the tea. :-) i usually end up just watching tv until sleep comes on its own. bet you will sleep well tonight, though!