Sunday, September 9, 2007

Love At First Sight

I am weak.

I am so damn weak!

Yesterday the cubs and I ventured to the local chicken swap. Yes, I said chicken swap. It’s a completely silly small town country thing that my town puts on twice a year. We love going. Where else can one wander around and shop for fresh produce, breads made by grandmothers, and llamas all in one spot?

The local farmers and such come from all over to sell off their stuff. Once we discovered this grand adventure, we’ve never missed it. It amazes me how many people around here must have odd things like peacocks. Who the hell would want one? What would one do with a peacock?

We headed out bright and early. I even skipped wearing heels. After all, one must blend when one is attending a chicken swap and I don’t think farmers wear stilettos. I draw the line at putting on plaid flannel or overalls – this chicken swap woman wore jeans and a hoodie.

There we were aimlessly wandering and marveling at the size and smell of some of the hogs. We chortled over chickens. We commented on the size of one farmer’s mongo tomatoes. The sun was shining, the roosters were crowing, and life was good.

Then it happened.

There was a litter of puppies for sale. Actually, there are always multiple litters of various puppies and kittens of all sizes, shapes, and varieties at every chicken swap. I love those darn little squiggly critters, and can never just wander by without stopping to scratch one or two behind the ears. The cubs always beg to take one home. I always put on my strict mommy face and firmly remind them that we already have two dogs, two rats, and a cat.

This time it was me that stopped. There was one wee little puppygirl that caught my eye. She wasn’t the cutest in her litter. She was the quiet little peaceful one in the corner of the cage. The little bugger looked up at me with the biggest, saddest, take-me-home eyes and I just had to reach in and pick her up.

We bonded.

I fell in love. Yes, people love at first sight really can happen.

She’s a beagle and her name is Shiloh. She’s now living in my house.

I tried. I really tried to be strong and walk away, but I couldn’t. I’ve never thought about having a beagle, but apparently there was something deep inside me that simply demanded I get one.

Damn weakness.

Shit, she’s cute!

Peace

8 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

Shiloh??? You cant come up with a better name then that? LOL Just teasin. I adore puppies and always want to take them home with me. Here in my tonw people will sit in big parking lots like walmart or something and have kitties or puppies in the back of the trucks, and they are almost always free. It is hard to walk by and not even look.

Dee Jay said...

Oh hell, I didn't name her - the cubs did. LOL It just seemed to be okay with me and it was something they both agreed on. This baby wasn't free, but alas I have no f'ing willpower sometimes!

Libertine said...

We have a flea market here that does this same type of animal thing every weekend. They've even had baby alligators there.

I don't blame you for taking the pup home. I almost adopted an entire litter of kittens the other week.

LMC said...

I like the name Shiloh.

"we already have two dogs, two rats, and a cat."

I always think the more the merrier!

I look forward to hearing all about Shiloh's adventures!

cherreh said...

Beagles.

Beagles and bloody sausage dogs.

They have conspired to take over the world by looking at us like that.

Anonymous said...

she sounds adorable! pictures plesae ...beagles are great family pets - just watch her ...they tend to wander becuase they get caught up in scents and just sort of follow it!

I LOVE rats ... I didn't know you had them! or I forgot due to my advanced age. They are, bar none, the BEST rodents to have! Crap- now I remember ..didn't you take pity on school ones???

I miss my lassie so much (you want to talk about NAMES)...so much though that even though she has been gone 6 months, I still can't contemplate getting another dog yet.

We still have Mulder and Scully (yes, my kids are X-philes) and Mr. Bunny and Mr. Bunny has Frappicino the guinea pig (yes, Frappy is the Bunny's - we got him for the bunny for company and the bunny LOVES him) ...

we also MAY be taking on two more cats ... kids, cats, dogs, other living creatures .. there is alwys room for more love

Dee Jay said...

Libertine - I just have a thing for puppies. LOL A friend of mine said "that's your biggest weakness, mine is food". I guess I'm glad mine is pups. : )

LMC - Shiloh is a beagle from a children's book/movie called Shiloh. The cubs loved the book - hence the name. They chose it, but I rather like it as well. Two more cats for you? LOL Better get more kitty litter!

p.d. - Talk about timing! I just saw a weiner dog puppy out walking with it's owner today. Those lil guys are cute!

Selkie - I have been reading about beagles now, and the stuff I've found says the same thing that you told me. I also learned they are a very popular dog for animal research. How sad! I had rats years ago at school, and at Christmas we got each of the cubs a rat.

Treasa said...

Oh no, *shakes head* Oh no. lol

Ok, build your fence so the puppy can't climb because beagles are escape artists.

And know that I can't resist beagle faces either... or evidently collies, german shepards, entles, or dachshunds. ;)

(((been there myself)))