Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pond Plunk

Sploosh splash sometimes it's just fun to get wet. Other times - not so much. Today's little adventure started harmlessly with a walk through my woods to start the day.

Wow - it still has the ability to make my head go "whoosh" when I think of the fact that I have my very own little forest. It's my own little critter sanctuary. On a daily basis I watch the little deer herds and familes wandering through. There are Canadian geese flying overhead, mallards itching to swim in my pond, and all that jazz.

I digress - I do that a lot!

This morning while down at the pond, I noticed the kids have a ball that's been hanging out on the far side of the ice. It seemed logical to figure out how to get it off the pond. I grabbed a large stick to try to push the ball closer to the shoreline, but the stick wasn't quite long enough. It was like one of those situations where your fingers juuuuuuuuuuuuust won't quite reach something on a high shelf. I decided to improvise.

I grabbed hold of a small branch still attached to one of the trees beside the pond and did the leeeeeeeeeeean over thing. I squirmed and a wriggled to reach the ball. Just as I was almost there...

You got it.

The damn branch broke and I toppled.

Did I mention the ice on the pond? The reason I didn't just walk out to get the ball was because the ice is too thin to be safe right now. I know this for sure because I tumbled right through it and landed in the frigid water that's beneath it.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I love a glass of ice water as much as anyone, but swimming in it? Nope, not so much.

I wasn't in any kind of danger here. The middle of my pond is about ten feet deep, but the edges are shallow. It was my dignity and pride that were damaged as I sputtered and spewed four letter words like an angry pirate.

Such is life in the woods - with my own "almost" frozen pond.

Peace

2 comments:

KingOfAnkh said...

hehee...

I'd have loved to join in with the pirate language....

Dee Jay said...

I'm rather good with pirate-speak. Sometimes I surprise myself!