Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oh Baby!

I may have had a few of my own, but I still don't know much about birthin' babies. It seems I am about to learn. I don't know if some idiot poured fertility drugs into the local water supply, but I am suddenly finding myself surrounded by kids having kids. I don't like it much, but there isn't much more I can do other than be supportive and encourage my mommies-to-be to finish school in spite of the hardships they are going to be facing.

One of my girls graduated last year. I've talked about her in the past - we've been through a lot together already. She's the girl that dragged me off to her AA meetings so she'd have a support system there as well. Now I'm finding myself being her friend and teacher as she travels down an entirely different path.

Another is barely sixteen. I am finding myself amazed and impressed at how well this little girl is handling a very adult situation. She's moving forward, but doing whatever it takes to continue with her education while also preparing to be a mom. Her own mom isn't in her world - it appears she's substituting hugs and encouragement from me in her place.

She's due any day and her plan is to drag me into the delivery room with her. Actually, they both seem to have this plan and I seem to have a difficult time saying no. How can I? They are both in a place in life where they need someone and they've picked me.

My older girl isn't due for a couple of months, meanwhile I'm just counting down the seconds until the younger one goes into labor. This morning my phone rang well before my alarm went off. Instantly my mind went to "oh my God, this is IT!" I was wrong. It was my brother calling about something most definitely not baby related.

Yet, soon first call will come and I'll be there to see the wee baby boy come into the world. I think it will be an amazing experience even though I don't know nuthin' about birthin' no babies.

Peace

No comments: