Sunday, April 12, 2009

Old Flirty Easter Ham

It is officially Easter here, and I am sleepy.

Today's menu includes both turkey and ham. I have one oven, and I don't feel like grilling either of them. Subsequently, I opted for a ham recipe that one of the school secretaries was telling everyone about - it calls for a crock pot.

Needless to say, that involved getting up way early. Babycub and I decided to be the Easter heroes and get up to create the ham masterpiece.

My babycub is adorable, but even more ditzy than I am at times. Yesterday was classic. I was explaining the ham cooking process thing to her and rattling off the various things we had to add to the crockpot - like brown sugar. In the midst of it all, I said it would be eight hours before it would be done.

She then asked me what the brown sugar would do and I explained that it would become kind of a glaze as the ham cooked and the juices from the ham blended with the brown sugar. With that she asked "Oh, so we have to cook it too?"

*bangs head on keyboard*

"No, Babycub - we put all the stuff in the crockpot and let it sit there for eight hours WITHOUT turning it on."

Egads, I didn't think I'd have to explain that part to her! She's so funny!

Yikes, I almost forgot the flirty cuteness of candy shopping yesterday. E, the cubs, and I were wandering through the Easter candy trying to decide what to buy and a dude came up and started talking to me. I'm used to this when I shop locally, it's a small town and I know a lot of people.

I turned and he started recommending various things and chatted away about the yummy goodness of each of his choices. I responded while my mind did the "who the hell is this guy?" thing - he wasn't even slightly familiar. He kept talking, leaned in and told me a silly joke, then tipped his hat and wandered off. Seriously, he TIPPED his hat. I thought that only happened in movies!

No matter - he was sweet. The cubs asked me about him and I had no idea who he was. Boycub said "he was sooooooooo flirting with you, mom!" I said no and E agreed with the cubs.

Why oh why is this making me whimper? He was an old cute dude - key word being OLD! Immediately, my mind whirled with the "Have I suddenly become old looking? Why are old dudes flirting with me? Is it time to sign up for bingo night?"

Alas, I think I need a night out to reinforce my non-oldness mojo or something!

Happy Easter Everyone!

Peace

No comments: