Thursday, August 21, 2008

Winkie Dink Service

I sort of roared. Okay, so it was a politely cool roar, but I did it, folks! I stood up for myself on something and I'm damn proud of it.

The situation: We have Direct TV and it was most definitely not working. I let it go for a couple of days because I was attacked by a migraine. In the meantime, the cubs had to make do with their Wii and movies if they were in the house.

Today I called to see about getting this fixed. After going through those damn automated voice thingies forever, I finally was able to talk to a tech who walked me through a number of possible fixes. Nothing worked. She then said she'd have to set up an appointment for someone to come to the house. No biggie on that one - I have been paying about five bucks a month on a maintenance plan. All was right with the world - until she dropped the bombshell on me.

"The soonest I can get someone there is September 11th"

Excuse me?!?!?!?! That's THREE f'ing weeks away! I pointed that small fact out and she said it was the soonest appointment available, but I could call another number to see if they could help me. I called.

I explained the situation to them, and again was told there was no possible way anyone could come to fix this until September 11th AND if I didn't snap up that appointment quickly, the next available one would be September 30th!

I asked her if they'd have been willing to give me that much latitude if I called and said the soonest I could pay my bill was that far off. She didn't quite have an answer. I asked why on earth they had me paying a service plan if they weren't planning on providing timely service. Again, no answer.

I called Dish Network to see if they could set up an account for me. It was absolutely possible AND they will be here the day after tomorrow to put in their satelite dish and get my house wired for their service. I went for it.

Then, I called Direct TV back and spoke to customer service. I asked the nice guy that answered how long it would take to have satelite service set up in my area. He assured me it could easily be done within a week. I asked him if Direct Sat was the company they used for installation and service - he said yes, they do both for them. Next I asked him what would happen if I had service with them and a tech needed to be sent to my house - as in how long will it take to get one here.

He said "Oh, we would have someone there within 24-72 hours".

Me - "I guess I should be honest with you. I am currently a customer with Direct TV. I need service, and the soonest YOUR people can get a tech here is on September 11th."

*dead silence while he regrouped*

Him - "Uh, I don't know what to tell you. Have you tried calling our corporate office at 800-we'reassholes" (no, he didn't say the we're assholes part)

Me - "I called that number and every other number I was passed off onto. I have spent TWO hours trying to find someone that can take care of this problem."

Him - "Uh, I pride myself on the fact that we have the highest customer service rating in the business and I've never heard anything like this. You just burst my bubble."

Keep in mind. I know it's not the fault of any of the people answering the phones; I went out of my way to be polite and NOT go off on them. I'm pretty proud of that fact. Even so, I am way pissed at their company!

Me - "Now I need you to do something else for me. Please connect me with whoever I need to speak to so I can cancel my service with you."

Next I had a very nice woman to talk to. Once again I explained the situation and she double checked the service time. Even she sounded a bit stunned at how long they were willing to make me wait. This is where I roared a bit.

I told her I'd called and was told about installation and service as if I were a new customer. Then:

Me - "It seems to me that your company is more than willing to find a way to get someone to my house to set up a complete new system and promise me the moon. However, once you have the account, you stop caring about your clients and have no problem screwing them over. I don't think that's the sign of a company I have any desire to do business with."

Her - "I can see why you are unhappy, but that truly is the soonest anyone could come there to fix this problem."

Me - "Let me just point something out to you. Technically, I could cancel my service right now, then call installation and set up a new account. They would be here to hook up a new system for me AT NO CHARGE, and it would all be done within a week. However, since I am already a client, I have to wait three weeks before I can have service. Do you see the irony in this?"

Her - "I could offer you three free months of Showtime for your inconvenience."

Me - "Do I need to remind you that I don't have any kind of service now? I couldn't WATCH Showtime and, if I wanted Showtime I would have ordered that when I bought my satelite package. Now, I simply want out."

My contract was terminated. I am being reimbursed for my last payment. Dish Network will be here in two days to set up my satelite once again.

I will NEVER do business with Direct TV again. In fact, I think I need to write a letter to corporate. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Peace

PS - I'll get caught up with blogs over here ASAP! I don't have time to read them tonight.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

You go girl!

I don't usually mind, personally, when things beyond a persons control inconvenience me. But situations like you described.... where they'd make you wait for several weeks for service, but can send someone to do a new setup within days... just screams of red-tap and a haywire bureaucracy in the company.

Dee Jay said...

Moth - That is exactly what it is. If they can get someone here to install that quickly, they can get someone here to fix. Heck, I would think a service call would take less time than a full installation!

TheSplinteredMind said...

You are so my hero! Calling tosee how long it would take for them to set you up as a new customer? Brilliant!!!

thyme said...

That is sooo typical. Similar has happened to me very often when there is a problem with my phone or internet service, sometimes other companies too, calling tech support I get put on hold endlessly and sometimes even disconnected, but the sales number always picks up.
I had to cancel my phone contract and get a new one (all with the same company) in order to get a more economic monthly plan. I got a free phone of my choice in the package. If I had not cancelled my contract first, I would have had a more expensive plan and nothing else.

Spacey Stacey said...

you go girl! i do things like that all the time. :D

inLONDONnow said...

More pictures with container home, illy cafe bar in container
www.pro-container.com