Friday, August 15, 2008

The Call

I took the bull by the horns - okay, not really - I called K because I was tired of waiting for her to call me. The conversation went well; at least I think it did.

Talking to her reminded me of past conversations with my prescription drug addicted aunt - she was slurry and disjointed. I'll chalk that up to her saying she'd just woken from a nap.

In any case, I put on my best bubbly, friendly voice and asked if she had any questions or concerns about the wedding. She wanted to know what the menu was. Even though I knew her daughter had already told and the caterer had already told her, I went through it all again. She didn't mention beer even when I said we were serving coffee and punch.

We talked about decorations; I told her I'd taken her daughter out to get some more things yesterday. It seems all of that is falling into place now.

The bride's family isn't coming here until the morning of the wedding. She works on Friday and, according to her, doesn't want to come up that night and have to "bathe in a lake" before the wedding. I guess getting a hotel room or staying with her mother who lives in town is not an option for them. It's not a big deal to me; it just means that I'll have to help with the decorating myself.

The weird thing is - I think she's intimidated by me. It's a freaky weird feeling because I'm about as scary as a butterfly. She stammered and tripped over words. I found myself going out of my way to be nice and to reassure her that everything was going well on this end.

My hub, A, once said that he thinks K's second hub is a total schmuck who probably bullies her. A thinks the second hub, B, is the one behind the beer and everything else. We shall see, I guess.

So, the wedding is in two weeks and I'm anxious for it all to be over. I am simply hoping for everything to go well and the kids to have a wonderful day.

Peace

2 comments:

Midwest Mom said...

I am so glad. To be honest, you've been in my thoughts a good bit today.

Best wishes to you all. ;)
-MM

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that CERTAIN PEOPLE get scared of me when they know they've acted wrong and I'm forcing them to face that fact... even with a friendly voice.
It's funny. It was that way with the housemate who refused to pay her bills, my brother's cat when he goes psycho, and my brother's squeeze. They even get the same look on their face.

Glad it's sorted . I hope she doesn't start trying some slippery stuff.