Thursday, July 22, 2010

Crossing Fingers

It's tentative, but it looks like I may know what I'll be teaching next year. With all the ups and downs with my district, nobody really knew what would be going on in the fall. I will still have my 10th and 11th grade kids, but they are adding 9th grade to the mix.

Of all the grades I'm licensed to teach, this is my least favorite age. Those kids are too old to do silly things like the younger kids do and too young to do some of the things the older kids do. All that middle ground makes them a hormonal mess that can drive a sane teacher insane. I don't know what it will do to someone like me - already a bit off the wall!

Next, this particular group of ninth graders are going to be a challenge. They've been that way since elementary school. Fortunately, I connected with some of them when they were in 7th grade - those kids have been following me around, texting me, spending lunch hours in my room, etc. ever since. I'm hoping that will help me this year.

Finally, the subject matter. *insert yawn* I'm licensed to teach seven different areas - two of them are my least favorites and this is one of the two. It's government. Ugh ugh ugh! I'm going to be scrambling for the rest of the summer. I've never taught this subject and I know it can be horribly dull if not taught the right way. I have to find that way!

I do love changes and challenges, so this is going to be unique. In a quirky weird way I'm looking forward to it. Hmmmmm we shall see!

Peace

No comments: