Sunday, January 31, 2010

Shoppage

I'm a happy little camper; a happy camper yes I am.

(think melody to Yankee Doodle when reading that - I'm singing it in my head)

Yeah yeah, I'm feeling silly today but savings oodles of money can do that to a stingy Deej.

The wedding is in three weeks. I have been putting off finding a dress to wear to the big event. I just haven't been anticipating the thought of digging through atrociously decorated with faux pearls and gawdy sequins type dressed. I hate that shit. I hate those "mother of the bride" type dresses.

Yesterday Babycub and I went shopping for all kids of gizmos and doo-dads. She suggested I find a dress and I shuddered. I opted to use the age old excuse many women use when confronted with this particular horror "Uh, I need to shave my legs".

Perfect.

After all, who wants to try on dresses with less than smooth gams? Not, I - that's for sure!

With that out of the way, we continued having a marvelous day poking through one store after another. Then it happened. Some odd force drew me into a cute little boutique that I've never ventured into before. I found myself being pulled toward a rack of clothes and right toward this luverly printed jackety thing.

I pulled it out and asked Babycub what she thought. We both loved it. Then my face fell. My jackety thing with the fitted tank under it came with pants NOT a skirt. I sighed mightily and Babycub suggested I call the bride - my oldest daughter. If she could live with her "mother of the bride" in pants, I most certainly would be happy to prance down the aisle in this outfit of outfits. It was perfection on a hanger!

She didn't care. She knows I'm never going to be the 50s Throwback Family that she's marrying into. I am me. My family is unique, and I love it. We don't fit molds.

With glee, I scampered to the dressing room to try on my treasure. It fit like it was made for me. I flounced and preened in front of mirrors, Babycub, and the sales clerks. It was "me". I was thrilled.

I didn't look at the price.

I knew I'd be spending a few bucks to find the perfect ensemble for this wedding. I just figured this would be pricey and that was that.

There it was - the tag.

But wait!

It was marked down.

The mark down was crossed off and marked down again.

Wait!

The marked down mark down was also crossed off and marked down again.

But wait even again!

The dress was on clearance.

After all the markdowns, they were still discounting it by 75% of the last markdown.

To sum it all up - my perfect perfect luverly delightfully make me smile and feel purdy outfit cost me ....

*drumroll*

$14.00

Yes, that's FOURTEEN dollars.

The gods of shopping were smiling on me yesterday!

Peace

1 comment:

thyme said...

That happened to me two weeks ago! I found a cute top with doodles on, from the Spanish design brand Desigual, just as I was proceeding to the counter to pay for a dress I needed for a party and for which I had been shopping and fitting for hours.. I was too pooped to go fit and I didn't even want to know what it cost, and when I was paying for it I found out that I actually got it for free, with the dress and a coat because they had a "buy two get one for free" sale, which I am too impractical to have noticed or registered properly before that instant... and I love that top, it is an absolute winner, I felt really blessed by the "gods of shopping"... I love those moments :-)